Herăşti - Năsturel - Herescu Contribute to this monument

HML CODE
GR-II-a-A-15013
COUNTY
GIURGIU
ADDRESS
sat HERĂŞTI; comuna HERĂŞTI DC 84
SETTLEMENT
Herăşti

FAMILIES
ARCHITECT
CRAFTSMEN
CURRENT USE
no current use
ACCESSIBLE
CONTACT
TEAM
2011: Leca Irina
The palace in Herăşti, also known as the ”Stone House” is located on a plateau close to the Argeş river. The palace was constructed in the beginning of the 17th century, by the boyar Udrişte Năsturel, famous scholar and brother-in-law to the ruler Matei Basarab.
 
The building, constructed entirely in stone, was conceived as a summer residence for the scholar and his brother, Cazan, the plan of the building being a consequence of this aspect.
 
In the 19th century, the estate belonged to the Serbian Prince Milos Obrenovici, who added a series of elements to the construction, among which a tower which was lost during a fire in 1931.
 
In the last years, the estate was under the administration of the Museum of the Romanian Peasant, who wished the palace to house a Museum of the Romanian Boyar. This initiative was never materialized and, during all this time, the palace housed exhibits of traditional art. Recently, the estate was returned to the rightful heirs.